Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 46 - Sand Springs/Tom Lowe

The day started out by driving out to Shartlesville to run with about 15 Pagoda Pacers at 8:30 a.m. The course was a 5 mile loop. Starting on the Sand Springs trail and back the Tom Lowe trail. The Sand Spring trail already had footprints on which made the footing a little easier than blazing a new trail through the rocks. We passed three hunters today. Two of them had there wife or girlfriend with them. I thought that was pretty cool that they could share the experience with them even if it looked like they didn't want to be there. Once we hit the Tom Lowe trail it had some downhill and that is where the real fun started. The trail had only animal tracks on at the start and you could move along in the snow at a faster pace until we hit some of the steeper downhill rocky sections. Finishing just over 70 minutes another runner wanted to run a little extra and we headed back up a dirt road. He dropped me right away and I only added about an extra mile he went a little further. I said good by to everyone and headed back to Hamburg. The map of the loop we did today is below.



From there I drove right to the Hamburg Reservoir to get a couple more miles in. I would of ran more on the Sand Springs and Tom Lowe trails but with all the hunters I thought I should leave there since I made it out alive. I got my pack on and was getting ready to run when I looked over and there was my friend Al. We ran to the top of the mountain together and I went to get some pictures at Pulpit Rock and Al went to finish his run. After snapping a couple pics I jumped on the AT to the red trail, then down the blue trail and back to the parking lot. I ran into the hiker that yelled to me in the dark the other night after I was on the blue trail. He was out hiking with his dog again getting ready for his trip next month out to Yellowstone for some XC Skiing. Sounds like an awesome trip to do someday.


The view from Pulpit Rock

The view from Pulpit Rock

The view from Pulpit Rock

The view near the Appalachian Trail

The view near the Appalachian Trail

A side trail off the blue trail

A side trail off the blue trail
The wife and children went over to her parents to go sledding and for her dad's 70th birthday party. I decided to run over to get some more time on my feet and then go sledding. It was nice to open up the legs on the road after running in the snow earlier in the day. I was about a mile away from the sled hill and I could see little specks(sledders) in the field. I just made it there for the last sled run of the day. What a great way to finish the run by flying down the hill on a sled.

1-15-2011 - 6.25 miles - 1:12 - run
                    5 miles - 1:00 - run
                    8.2 miles - 1:06 - run

No comments:

Post a Comment