Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 49 - Ice run

I woke up around 2:30 a.m. to the sound of sleet against my windows. Looking out the windows I could see through, most of them were coated in ice, I was hoping for more snow by that time but only an inch or two that I could see. No shoveling before I left for work today. I thought it would be better to leave the ice on top of the snow so I wouldn't have to deal with a sheet of ice after the freezing rain started when I got home. I left about 25 minutes early thinking the roads were going to be a sheet of ice and it was going to take me a lot longer to get there. It turned out that the roads were not that bad at the time I left.

I hit the mountain around 3:30 after shoveling some of my driveway this afternoon. It was great to be running during the week in the light. Not a one person was on the trail today. I'm not sure if that ever happened before this late in the day. A lot of people take their dogs up to walk them I guess not today. There was a little coating of ice on top of the snow at the start but nothing to slippery. By this time the temps were above freezing and all you heard was the ice falling off of the trees. I ran right up to the red trail to work on my running and video making. I really enjoy making/sharing the videos because not everyone can make it out to see what it looks like after a storm. After running down that trail I knew my feet were going to be soaked and cold the rest of the run. The closer I got to the top the temps started to drop and the ice on top was getting thinker. There was a lot more ice that was still on the trees at the top and some fog. If you were never at the top of the mountain after an ice storm you don’t know what you are missing. It is a total different world up there. After getting some pics at Pulpit I ran the AT to the red trail and down the blue snapping some pics on the way . That is where my feet were really starting to feel the cold. I sat down to wring the water out of one of my socks on the foot that was very cold. It does help if you know your not going to be stepping in any more water for awhile. Finally I see two more sets of footprints as I was finishing the last half mile. I was glad someone else got to check what was left of the little ice storm. The sky started to break and the sun and moon were peeking through. What a cool ending to a run.


1-18-2011 - 8 miles - 1:45 - run






































No comments:

Post a Comment