Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 53 - 2 pair of socks

I left the house with the temp at 9°. It was a 2 pair of sock kind of day. Wait I also had 2 pair of gloves on. The plan was to do a 12 1/2 mile loop on the road to the AT over to Port Clinton and back the road. I did this loop a couple of years ago when the temp was around 4° with some friends. Again I had first tracks on the AT to Port Clinton. That is around a 6 mile section. Everything was going well until the last mile down. I forgot there could be drifts on the mountain and they were there the rest of the way down to the bottom. The drifts were deep about 1 to 2 feet deep. My feet were very cold by this point of the run. The drifts made it hard to see where the rocks were. You can usually see bumps in the snow and that usually means theres a rock or stick there. After a good fall from kicking some rocks and almost eating some snow I slowed down and just wanted to get down. I made it down with no more falls. From there I ran through the town of Port Clinton an up to the Bartram Trail. I passed one guy on the Bartram Trail that I meet over the summer. He was doing an 8 mile round trip hike to the library and back. I hit the road section of my run and decided to add a loop at Kaercher Creek and some more road. I finished up with 16 miles. A good day of survival out on the trail. Not a good day for pics since my battery died.
The Appalachian Trail heading up

Pocahontas Spring on the Appalachian Trail
Kaercher Creek
1-22-2011 - 16 miles - 3:13 - run





No comments:

Post a Comment