Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 43 - Snow finally

Today started with a great workout – shoveling snow. I was out there around 5 a.m. and loving it. I got a whole hour of it before I went to work. It was just a different way to start my day. I wish I would love to get up at that time everyday and working out but I never can manage to do that. Snow just drives me to be outdoors. I guess if I would get over 500 inches a year like some parts of Utah maybe I would get sick of it but not here.

Today the walk was windy and the weather channel said it feels like 15 ° but it didn’t feel like it. I am really getting use to the colder weather now. Being in it every day and dressing the right way for it makes a big difference. Today I saw a hawk flying into the wind just looking down at me until the wind blew harder and he flew with the wind. I was a little late with the camera so no picture of that.







Tonight I drove up to the Hamburg Reservoir instead of running there. The sides of the roads at night are not that safe with all of the snow. About a half mile from the parking lot is where the Appalachian Trail crosses. There was only two tracks going up to the top and it was slow moving. With 4 to 5 inches of snow you have to lift your legs a lot higher and the snow was light, fluffy and slippery. I was moving along at a regular pace and when I hit the top I was about 7 or 8 minutes slower with the snow and it took a lot more work. These are the conditions that will make you stronger in your spring trail or road races. My speed will be put off when running in the mountains for now but the strength and endurance I will take advantage of.

1-12-2011 - 2.8 miles - 37:47 - walk
1-12-2011 - 4 miles - 55:00 - run


No comments:

Post a Comment